We nurture mental development through a broad range of courses that teach key concepts you’ll need in order to work in the field. We encourage you to go beyond the basic facts and learn to think critically about justice both in America and abroad. We’ll also help you develop insight into the how and the why of what you will do.
We nurture professional development through both program emphases and hands-on activities.
- We’ll help you develop your writing and speaking skills. These are essential in the profession, and the ability to communicate effectively and clearly can make the difference between receiving a promotion and being passed over.
- You’ll be encouraged to take an active role in the learning process—to express your opinion and think critically about the subjects you study. And you will get the opportunity to participate in hands-on activities like processing a crime scene.
- You’ll also complete a field experience, interning with an organization in the criminal justice field.\\We nurture spiritual development both in and out of class.
We’ll strive to nurture in you the spiritual strength that will let you confidently assert with the psalmist, “I will fear no evil, for You are with me.”
Dordt’s program takes an interdisciplinary approach to criminal justice education. You’ll take classes in the psychology, social work, political studies, and the health and human performance departments. Other classes may be applicable as well, depending on your anticipated career. Just as your core curriculum at Dordt will help you appreciate the broad scope of God’s work in both his people and his creation, your core criminal justice classes will give you a broad understanding of many different areas within criminal justice. These areas include:
- Criminal Law and Procedure
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Juvenile Justice
You’ll also be able to tailor your education to better meet your specific aspirations with classes such as:
- First Aid
- Community Politics
- Counseling Theories