The Concert Band is a select group of 50 to 55 instrumentalists who perform wind and percussion masterworks and premiere new compositions and arrangements. The ensemble has gained a reputation for performances that are extremely expressive and beautiful, as well as technically sound.
Director of Instrumental Music Bradley Miedema conducts the Concert Band, as well as the Campus-Community Band. Dordt's wind ensemble program also includes the Jazz Band and smaller chamber ensembles.
Recent repertoire includes:
- O Magnum Mysterium, Lauridsen/Reynolds
- Suite of Old American Dances, Bennett
- Chorale and Alleluia, Hanson
- Overture to 'Colas Breugnon,' Kabalevsky
- Festive Overture, Shostakovich
- Fervent is My Longing, Bach
- Second Suite in F, Holst
- Variants on a Mediaeval Tune, Dello Joio
- Suite Française, Milhaud
- Puszta, Van der Roost
- Lincolnshire Posy, Grainger
- Chester, Schuman
- Overture to 'Candide,' Bernstein
The band tours extensively throughout the United States and Canada and performed in Hungary and Romania during the summer of 2006.
Anyone interested in visiting a rehearsal of the Dordt College Concert Band can come to the Instrumental Music Room (M108) Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 5 to 6:05 p.m.