Dordt Dining Services' goal is to provide the best possible dining experience. And that starts by selecting the meal plan that best suits you.
Students in residence halls (North Hall, East Hall, West Hall, and Covenant Hall) are required to purchase a meal plan from the college. Each student is automatically assigned the Value Meal Plan, which includes 21 meals per week plus 100 Defender Dollars. Students may opt out of that plan and instead choose the Reduced Meal Plan, which includes 15 meals per week plus 100 Defender Dollars.
Meal plans allow you to enjoy the convenience of on-campus dining and great benefits:
- Guaranteed all-you-care-to-eat meals and the flexibility of grab-n-go items at the Defender Grille.
- No worries about carrying cash.
- Minutes from great food and comfortable locations.
- A great place to meet your friends or make new ones.
Students living in our apartments (Southview, Kuyper, and East Campus) automatically receive 200 Defender Dollars. Apartment residents may elect to purchase a 5 Plus Dining Plan, Value Meal Plan (21 meals per week) or Reduced Meal Plan (15 meals per week).
5 Plus Dining Plan Details
- Five all you can eat meals per week at the Commons, Sunday thru Saturday, or a meal exchange at the Defender Grille after 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. One snack allowed per day.
- Five fountain beverage/snack combo's per week, Sunday through Saturday at the Defender Grille or 55th Avenue.
- Two $10 gift certificates to the Bookstore mailed to you after approximately 30 days from the start of the semester.
- 50 Defender Dollars
- All items expire at the end of the semester.
All students may add more money to their Defender Dollars account by visiting the Business Office on campus.
Commuters may purchase Defender Dollars (minimum to start $100) at the Business Office.
Meal Plan Change Information
If you want to change meal plans, go to your checklist on dcc.dordt.edu (student-access only). Meal plan changes in the fall can only be made seven business days in to the semester. Meal plan changes for the spring semester must be done prior to the beginning of the semester.
Defender Dollar Information
If you have a meal plan you will have Defender Dollars on your ID card that works as a debit card system. Defender Dollars cannot be exchanged for cash and do not carry over to the following semester. You can add more to your card by stopping by the Business Office to have money added (cash or check only). Defender dollars are accepted at all on campus dining locations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a Meal Plan?
A Value or Reduced meal plan is required if you reside in any of the four traditional halls (North Hall, East Hall, West Hall, and Covenant Hall).
Meal plans allow you to enjoy the convenience of on-campus dining and the following great benefits:
- Guaranteed all-you-care-to-eat meals and the flexibility of grab-n-go items
- No worries about carrying cash
- Minutes from great food and comfortable locations
- A great place to meet your friends, or make new ones
What is a Weekly Meal Allowance? (Value or Reduced meal plans only)
Your meal plan allows you a set number of meals per week–15 or 21 meals/week. Your weekly meal allowance gives you the opportunity to enjoy all-you-care-to-eat dining for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in Commons Dining Hall. Each time you eat in Commons Dining Hall, one meal is subtracted from your weekly meal allowance. You may also elect to eat at the Defender Grille by exchanging your meal for select meal options that are available. The meal exchange option is available after 1:30 p.m. in the Grille for lunch and after 6 p.m. in the Grille for dinner.
What are Defender Dollars?
These are supplements to the weekly meal allowance, and work like a bank debit card. Each time you make a purchase, the total is subtracted from the balance in your account, you just need to specify Defender Dollars when paying.
Can I treat a friend by using two "meals" in a meal period?
You are the only person allowed to use your “meals” and you can only use one meal per meal period.
If you would like to treat a friend, you may pay for their meal using your Defender Dollars.