2008-09 BLADES HOCKEY
|3||Jon Van Keulen||6'3||Defense||SR||Surrey, British Columbia|
• Has played in 79 games over the past three seasons.
• Had two goals and 15 assists in those games.
Coach Vn says: Entering his final season as a Blade, Jon has established himself as a consistent defenseman, and has a knack for shutting down offensive forays into our defensive zone with his solid 1 on 1 play. Jon’s “stay at home” style of defense is reliable, and steady. Gaining confidence each season, Jon has begun to establish himself physically as well, and is a hard man to knock off the puck. When he’s not on the ice, Jon spends his time slalom skiing, and working Freisan horses.
|5||Matt Chesla||6'0||Forward||SR||Lino Lakes, Minnesota|
• Scored 9 goals and added 21 assists in 07-08 as a junior.
• Had 7 goals and 9 assists during sophomore season.
• Past team affiliation: Concordia Saints.
Coach Vn says: One of our growing number of American born players, Matt has a great first step, and his on-ice awareness results in terrific playmaking ability. At the end of last season, Matt established himself as a team leader, and his dedication in the offseason shows. Matt comes into the line-up this year in his best shape ever, and promises to be a difference maker when it matters.
|6||Brad Westervelt||6'1||Defense||SR||Winnipeg, Manitoba|
Coach Vn says: A “can do” attitude characterizes this first year player. Brad always shows up with a smile and a terrific work ethic. Very coachable, look for Brad to develop significantly over the course of this season.
|10||Jason Westervelt||6'4||Forward||SO||Winnipeg, Manitoba|
• Finished his freshman season with 7 points for the Blades on 3 goals and 4 assists with a plus/minus of plus 12.
Coach Vn says: Jason has a great attitude and work ethic and he is always improving. The team really feeds on him on the bench, he keeps them going and is a true team player.
|11||Kurtis Heerema||6'1||Forward||SR||Thunder Bay, Ontario|
• Has played in 62 games over the past two seasons with a total of 32 goals and 42 assists from 2006-2008. Also played in 30 games his freshman year.
• Was named an ACHA academic All-American last season.
• Past team affiliation: Neebing Hawks (Bantam A in 2002)
Coach Vn says: A gritty hockey player, Kurtis plays the game with tenacity every shift. His ability to bring the same quality performance to rink, day in and day out, is what makes him a good leader and a constant threat. Kurtis leads by example, and his “A” reflects that. A solid playmaker, Kurtis makes his line mates look good. Kurtis also excels off the ice, and was an Academic All American selection last season.
|12||Joel Sikkema||5'10||Forward||SR||Ridgetown, Ontario|
• Scored ten goals and had 12 assists in 2007-2008.
• Points were down slightly from 2006-2007 when he scored 15 goals and had 24 assists.
• Was named an ACHA academic All-American last season.
• Past team affiliation: Ridgetown Rebels (2004)
Coach Vn says: Joel is a little man with a big heart. Able to handle the puck well, and score goals when necessary, Joel’s greatest asset is his speed. Breaking down the wing, he is always a threat to opposition defense when driving the net, and his ability to perform in clutch situations is a great asset – when the game is on the line, Joel wants the puck. An Engineering student, Joel is double majoring, and even with the rigors of the hockey season, has warranted Academic All American recognition for the past two seasons.
|15||Brian Havinga||6'0||Forward||SR||Calgary, Alberta|
Coach Vn says: Strong and fast. A competitor that just loves to be a part of the game, Brian will be successful in his role on the Blades this season. Brian battles every shift, and will certainly make opposition Defensemen work to earn the puck.
|16||Kevin Prins||6'1||Center||SR||Foremost, Alberta|
• Has been very solid the past two seasons for the Blades.
• Registered 53 points on 24 goals and 29 assists as a junior after scoring 20 goals and assisting on 27 in 2006-2007, played in 30 games his freshman season.
• Past team affiliation: Foremost Flyers
Coach Vn says: Speed, hands, smarts. Kevin is a very well rounded hockey player who doesn’t shy away from the more physical side of the game. He has the ability to adjust the tempo of the game to suit him, and can be counted on every game to perform at the same high level he did the game before. Able to play well under pressure, Kevin will not be out worked. A fierce competitor, Kevin never shies away from a challenge.
|19||Brandon Breukelman||6'0||Forward||SO||Thunder Bay, Ontario|
• Credited with 10 goals and 18 assists in 2007-2008 for total of 28 points.
• Past team affiliation: Thunder Bay Canadiens
Coach Vn says: A sophomore this season, Brandon made the jump into college hockey very successfully last season. Good hands and tremendous strength highlight Brandon’s assets. A soft spoken young man, Brandon plays the game with the volume turned up.
|20||Jared Rempel||6'0||Defense||SR||Chilliwack, British Columbia|
• Earned ACHA Division III all-American honors and all-Pacific region honors in 2007-2008 after scoring 22 goals and assisting on 31.
• Scored nine goals and assisted on 23 as a sophomore in 2006-2007.
• Also golfs for the Dordt College Defenders, earning all-GPAC honors for Dordt College the last two seasons.
• In 2008 was an NAIA scholar-athlete in golf and an ACHA academic All-American in hockey.
• Past team affiliation: Chilliwack AA Coyotes
Coach Vn says: Coming into his third season as Captain, Jared is this team’s spark plug. A smart, two way hockey player, with the ability to play an intense physical game, Jared always steps up when the chips are down. Known for his ability as a sniper. Jared sees the ice well, and will play whatever role he needs to to win the game. A First Team All American selection last year, Jared was also an Academic All American.
|30||Russ Dykshoorn||6'3||Goaltender||SR||Abbottsford, BC|
Head Coach: Nate Van Niejenhuis
Athletic Director: Rick Vander Berg
Sports Information Director: Mike Byker