Assistant Professor of English
Phone: (712) 722-6250
Dr. Matthews specializes in early and nineteenth-century American literature. His major interests in this area include Walt Whitman, Herman Melville, and literature of the colonial and American backcountries. He also enjoys science fiction.
He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Iowa. His dissertation, "The American Alighieri: Receptions of Dante in the United States, 1818-1867," examined the rise of Dante in early American popular culture and during the Civil War.
- American Literature 1 (ENG 201)
- Science Fiction (ENG 222)
- Intro to Film (CORE 160)
- Business and Technical Writing (ENG 305)
- Responding to Literature (CORE 180)
- English Composition (CORE 120)
- Kingdom, Identity, and Calling (CORE 100)
- Mark Twain (KSP Independent Study)